The team at SHIELDS HUNT DUFF STRACHAN is dedicated to protecting the rights of federal, provincial and municipal public service employees. Our lawyers have considerable experience and expertise in this area.
For example, we can provide comprehensive and experienced advice on:
- Wrongful and constructive dismissal, harassment, bullying and violence in the workplace, and any related investigations.
- Grievance and Adjudication for Unrepresented Federal Public Service Employees: grievance and adjudication procedures are available to federal public service employees facing termination, demotion, suspension or financial penalties.
- Staffing Fairness: an unsuccessful candidate in an internal appointment process may file a complaint alleging abuse of authority, including personal favouritism.
- Discrimination: Like private sector companies, the government cannot discriminate against an employee by reason of a person’s race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, family status, disability or a conviction for which a pardon has been granted or a record suspended.
- Whistle-blower Protection: federal laws protect employees who believe they have witnessed wrongdoing in the public sector. We similarly represent employees who are suffering from reprisal because of a disclosure they have made.
If your government employer has violated your rights, a member of our team would be pleased to assist you.